The Parcel Post
The Parcel post was inaugurated on 1st August 1883. A vital part of this service was the special labels which were printed for every post office and attached to parcels. These labels continued in use until 1918 when smaller all purpose labels were introduced.
Three labels from Hamilton Head Post Office showing changes in the layout and different heraldic logo.
Sub-offices also had their own labels here are a few from Hamilton.
New Cross, Hamilton 1902 Peacock Cross, Hamilton 1905
Different Labels from Cadzow Street, Hamilton 1902 and 1915.
Hamilton was the Administrative Head Post Office in its District and the smaller offices were classed as either Sub-offices or Independent Sub-offices. Other larger offices in the county had a similar hierarchy and the name of the head office would be incorporated in the parcel post label for each Sub-office.
Burnbank under Hamilton 1918 Auchenheath 1903 under Hamilton at this time.
Netherburn under Hamilton 1901 Larkhall under Hamilton 1904
When stamps were stuck to the labels or parcels they were usually obliterated by an undated rubber stamp similar to the Airdrie stamp above.
Occasionally some of the smaller offices were without datestamps and would date the labels in ink by hand. The above is dated Sandford 12/3/04.
Varieties are seldom found but this is an interesting mis-spelling of "NEMWAINS" for "Newmains" used in 1909.
To be continued.